Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Bread Winner (Today I Am the)

P1110905
If you have known me for, oh... ten minutes or more, you probably know that I have "issues". And the one I seem to wrestle with most is making bread. I may possibly hold the record for most failed attempts at bread making.
But... after a few in-my-kitchen tutorials, and a realization that we are almost out of bread and I am so seriously tired of standing in the bread aisle looking at all those mushy, crumbly, plastic-wrapped rectangles, I decided to just do it. And not just pretty artisan-looking business, but sandwich bread that you can slice and make an honest to goodness PBJ with.
AND IT WORKED!!!!!!
I used the Sandwich bread recipe from How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman. I cannot find the exact recipe online, but this adaptation is close... except I used 3.5 cups of white bread flour, and only 1.5 teaspoons of yeast. And I let it rise the full 2 hours. It hurt, but I did it.
P1110904
This is all milk and honey and butter kind of bread that tastes like love. Every time I pass it, I just stick my face up to it for a good long sniff.
Also, I used the food processor method, which I have always been opposed to because I enjoy kneading the dough, but I wonder if perhaps that is the secret?
P1110900

2 comments:

Nickolini said...

we have a bread maker at the house if you ever feel like doing it the lazy way

sharoniusthunk said...

I am so impressed... and I have the WORLD RECORD for most failed bread attempts. World. Seriously.