Monday, December 05, 2005

Books I started (last week), but could not finish:
Talk to the Hand (Lynne Truss)... I don't know if taking advice on ettiquette from someone so grumpy is a very good idea.

A Million Little Pieces (James Frey)- I fell in love with the cover awhile ago. Until Oprah slapped her sticker on it. But immediate circumstances have sparked an increased interest in the psychology behind addiction and recovery. And I think that it's probably a really good book. I appreciate the irreverence, the rage and the detailed descriptions of the many varieties of vomit. The 100 pages I made it through were- a lot. I hated him and I wanted to hold him... much like my more personal addict.
But that book is thick, and in it's poetic-ness, well, it's very redundant. And I am very impatient. I think I will try it on audio, though. And deciding not to finish it sort of makes me feel the guilt of giving up on him.

Books in my possession that I want to read:
The Quickening of America (Lappe and DuBois)
Breakfast of Champions (Kurt Vonnegut)
Twenty Years at Hull House (Jane Addams)
Out of my Life and Thought (Albert Schweitzer)
Clearly, I am not much for fiction. Unless it's incredible. But I'm always open for suggestions.

5 comments:

Mack Richardson said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mack Richardson said...

If you like memoirs, check out:

Kick Me (Paul Feig)
Superstud (Paul Feig...again)

These are very light reading and provide alot of laughs.

Chuli Pichuli said...

Do do you like Gabriel Garcia Marquez?

Sunny said...

i love both memoirs and gabriel garcia marquez

Lisa Bown said...

I made it through Million Pieces - finished it over a week ago. It's still with me. I believe the redundancy beat the story into me, which is what, in my opinion, the author hoped to do. This was no "I beat it in 14 days with Jesus by my side" story. The fact the author chose to bypass Christ was shocking and sad but I nonetheless admire the man, his method and his continued sobriety. The pain he was in, the pain inflicted on his parents and the rawness of his experience will stay with me. Having an alcoholic in my immediate family made the story both frustrating (I know my father will never, ever, ever see anything wrong with his alcohol consumption past or present) and uplifting (the author IS sober and finally living). If you want an honest book - this is a good choice.