Thursday, October 19, 2006

I love the friendships most that can go months,even years, neglected, and never fail to pick up where we left off. I tend to expect so many awkward silences, heartsinking realizitations that the person they are cannot compare with the one I have imagined them to be. I suppose this is what they mean by "kindred"- as if we were made of the same soulmindheart stuff in some preworld world of becoming.
I don't have much in the way of material wealth... the opposite, really. But when it comes to those relationships where I feel so much like I'm coming home safely, I am abundantly wealthy. I don't think that I approach any aspect of my relationships with rose-colored glasses. People are warped and fallable little creatures, all of us.
And I am not always particularly gentle with my friendships, I can be downright brutal if asked my opinion. And yet, I am loved. It amazes me sometimes, when I consider what I have gained through these crazy transient years of early adulthood. How did they find me? And I them? And how is it possible that we still know each other, not remember stories of, but know. How is it that we still find a place in each others' hearts that is home for us alone?

A friends I haven't heard from in awhile came to spend the weekend of my birthday with us. We spent the weekend cooking and baking and eating and marketing and watching Grey's Anatomy. It was perfect. We made these cupcakes:

Mini Pumpkin-Gingerbread Cupcakes

Makes 32 mini cupcakes
2 cups unbleached white flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil (or fat-free plain yogurt)
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup canned pumpkin


Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a miniature muffin pan with mini cupcake liners or spray and flour the pan using canola or olive oil cooking spray. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flours, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and sugar. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the canola oil, eggs, vanilla and pumpkin. Pour into flour mixture and stir to combine.

Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes or until done when tested with a toothpick. Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan for 15 minutes then continue to cool on wire racks. When cool, frost with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting (they're just as yummy without the frosting, I think).

Maple Cream Cheese Frosting

8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter, softened
1/4 c. pure maple syrup
Whip these together, pipe or plop on top of cupcakes

2 comments:

Eralda Tarpley said...

I'll definitely try them! All Sunny recipes are yummy. On another note, how are you? Also, I would love to see a picture of you and little Edward. (I suppose Brady can be in the picture too :) )

Bryan Tarpley said...

dude, where da' bloggage at?