Friday, August 28, 2009
Yet another homemade gift:
Soft baby rattles made from Ikea fabric.
Of course, you don't have to use Ikea fabric, I just didn't realize- in the heat of the crafty moment- that I did have a character design fabric in my stash already.
I saw this post (I feel like an index for the internet), and I had to make some. NOW! (the link referred to a tutorial, but I couldn't find one. I did however happen upon too, too many beautiful Dutch blogs. Hopefully this isn't too infringe-y, for the record- this is not my original idea.)
1. Loosely cut around chosen design.
2. Choose a coordinating fabric for the back- face right sides together and trim so both pieces are the same shape. These are small enough that I didn't have to pin them.
3. Sew on a machine using a straight stitch, leaving a 3/4" opening.
4. Turn right side out and stuff with polyfil or wool. I tucked a few little jingle bells in there.
5. Sew together the opening by hand, using very small tight stitches.
This is the exact same concept as making a pillow- except, tiny and with bells. Also- if you are going to make these- just do a bunch, as it seems babies come in waves! Also, if you are about to have a baby and you are reading this- just pretend like you didn't :) No surprises around here!
Ta Da! Easy to grasp softy rattle for your wee-est new friend.