Saturday, December 18, 2010

GF Christmas + Favorites

P1140995
For close to a year- I have been, more-or-less, gluten free. Strange symptoms caused by who knows what pointed me to at least giving it a try. When B makes pizza, I tell myself it's just psychosomatic, and give in, but generally regret it. For whatever reason, eating gluten makes me achy, dumb and stinky. So I don't, mostly. And I feel (and smell) a lot better for it.
But I love to bake, and it's Christmas. And that is a real problem.
I tried to make Russian Tea Cakes using g-f Bisquick. Super fail.

But all is not lost... I am focusing on the can-haves, and so here is a quick list for myself and anyone in the same boat.

Ambrosia Macaroons
Homemade Marshmallows
Flourless Peanutbutter Cookies
Chocolate Pistachio Cookies
Meringues
Chocolate Blocks
Brownies

Tried and true flour-y friends:
Chocolate Espresso Snowcaps
Snickerdoodles
Shortbread... OK, can't find the recipe I used last year, will keep searching, though. It was really good. But maybe it's one of those things that's hard to screw up?
Saltine Toffee Bars

Now, where to find the time to make them!

2 comments:

Gremlina said...

i've been told I should quit gluten. at that moment I made a decision, to appreciate and deny it's ill effects on my life. Were it not for fluffy breads my life would be worthless...or maybe that's part of the problem? but seriously good alternatives you have here, perhaps I can start avoiding the g-word, too--in moderation. ;)

sleep deprived mommy said...

Good for you! I'm sure you're healthier for it.

Was thinking about you guys the other day.... hope you have a wonderful Christmas.